Recently the new One Direction song, Story of my Life, was released. The morning that it was released I listened to it nearly thirty times. It may seem a bit cliche to say that I was inspired by this sappy boy band song, but the truth is, I was. In my opinion, the song is truly about how these five boys, Louis, Liam, Harry, Niall and Zayn haven't become terrible, disgusting people because of the fame that surrounds them. The "Story of my Life" video recreates images from the boys' childhoods, making everything in the image recreation the same, but the people in the recreation are older versions of themselves. I think the video director was really trying to put across the idea that these boys are still the same people they were when they were younger and still living a normal life. Now, they're just a bit more famous. The video director wants the fans to know that the fame hasn't gone to the boys' heads like it has for some other younger stars. For example, Miley Cyrus, all anyone can talk about these days is her latest scandal, whether it's her newest outfits or a new video. It's the same with Justin Bieber, you can't stop hearing and reading about all these awful things he's doing. While my thoughts may be biased, considering I like One Direction and don't like Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus, it is still the truth. I'm not saying One Direction won't ever change, but after three years of being world famous, they've done a pretty great job.
Now back to how the song inspired me, it really made me realize that I shouldn't let the environment that I'm in change me, whether it's new friends or simply a new school. I should stay true to myself and if people actually like me for myself, they'll stick with me. Otherwise, those friends aren't worth the work. While this idea may be a bit of a stretch from the song's message, this is what I got from the song. Others may have understood different things. But the definite overall message is stay true to your roots, and that message can be interpreted in many different ways.
this is actually one of my favorite songs :))))
ReplyDeleteI think its really interesting how you connected One Direction to other celebrities. I never saw the song in this way, but I love reading about how you did.
Hello Group Member!
ReplyDeleteI didn't think your claim was too cliche, and I personally am a true believer in your point. I may not listen to this band very often (Although I have on my phone "What makes you beautiful") but I think you did an excellent job describing it. I really liked how you've connected the song to yourself in a deep manner, I really liked it. I feel like this is one of your best qualities.